In conjunction with Dave's 2010 Bum Tour, The Time is Now Tour seeks participant hosts to become part of a documented "trail of accomplishments." Invite Dave to visit, and then it's time to take action! As you--and possibly your spouse, significant other, family member, or friend--set about your undertaking, I'll join along as either an observer or participant. All experiences will be captured in writing and collected for future publication. Some experiences will be captured in pictures and/or video, also for possible publication.

You've got something you've been wanting to do or try, right? Maybe it's something grand like bungee jumping, sky diving, or white water rafting. Maybe it's something a little less extreme like visiting a museum or hiking a trail. It's even possible that you've just been wanting to try out a new (or new-to-you) restaurant or cook a new dish at home. However grand the idea, Dave is saying the time is now!

If you would like to be a part of this fantastic trail of accomplishments, just contact me and include your idea and the location.

IMPORTANT NOTES: Dave's "The Time is Now" Tour will not be providing any funding toward your endeavor, but Dave will pay his own way as a participant wherever applicable. Hosting expectations are outlined in Dave's 2010 Bum Tour "note" on Facebook, or contact Dave directly for details.

Following the Tour

As dates and locations are added to the tour, they will be posted to this calendar. Blog posts will periodically chronicle tour stops and adventures. Go to August 2010 to see the current schedule.

Tour Schedule

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Florida: Part 2 (August 23-25)










The clubhouse at King & Bear
On Monday (8/23), I woke up for 6:15 breakfast with Rob and Amy. Shortly after Amy went to work, Rob & I headed out to King & Bear, designed by Jack Nicklaus and Arnold Palmer as one of two golf courses at the World Golf Village. It was my 2nd time to play the course (the first time was this past spring), and Rob's first. We played an all-you-can-play special, so we ended up playing 45 holes over 10 hours. I think we would have played longer, but we had already avoided some really bad weather, so we happily bid the course adieu (and we were the last players to leave that day). Overall, we both played OK for the first two rounds (36 holes), then Rob showed some improvement on the final nine while I pretty much gave up and just enjoyed the ride. This was both a "time is now" activity for Rob and a birthday/graduation gift for me--great times. We both went home well worn and quite content, and kept our golf stories to ourselves while we learned about Amy's first day with her new students. We also enjoyed a home cooked meal of grilled fish and lentils.


"Anguish at #2" featuring Rob Sievert-Wagner

#7: Dramatic Draw
Rob "bobbing" for apples on the course
Daytona Beach
On Tuesday (8/24), I slept in while Rob and Amy went about their routines and headed out to work. I started the morning with some internet stuff and e-mail, solidified plans for the evening, and then went downtown to meet Rob for lunch. After lunch, I drove to Daytona Beach where I was to meet up with Dolley, a friend from Arkansas (students together in Faulkner County Leadership Institute) who now lives in central Florida. I had some time to walk along the beach before Dolley arrived, then we strolled down to the Ocean Deck beach club for drinks and wings. Later, we strolled up and down the beach sharing stories and laughs. At some point, I mentioned the "time is now" tour, which prompted a completely unplanned ride on the Sling Shot (see picture at right and video below). It was a fantastic thrill ride! Although I would probably vomit or pass out staring at it from the ground, the ride itself was very fun, especially over the beach at sunset.

Sling Shot view from the ground

Ocean Deck Beach Club



On my way back to Jacksonville, I realized I had worked up a small appetite, so I stopped off for a southern treat of Krystal burgers and Krystal Mini-chiks! About 20 minutes into that night's drive, I finally completed the 395 track listening spree of Jimmy Buffett songs that began one week earlier. It seemed rather fitting since my drive from Daytona Beach north to Jacksonville marked a transition as my journey took a north-bound turn. It was a fantastic day, and I was very ready for sleep when I arrived back at the house.

On Wednesday morning, I arose at 6:00am to join Rob & Amy for breakfast and say "goodbye" to Amy as she left for work, and then slept awhile longer before starting my own day. When I did finally start my day, I got myself ready for more road travel, packed up my freshly cleaned clothes, sad my "goodbyes" to the kittens, and set out for Richmond, VA.

No comments:

Post a Comment