In conjunction with Dave's 2010 Bum Tour, The Time is Now Tour seeks participant hosts to become part of a documented "trail of accomplishments." Invite Dave to visit, and then it's time to take action! As you--and possibly your spouse, significant other, family member, or friend--set about your undertaking, I'll join along as either an observer or participant. All experiences will be captured in writing and collected for future publication. Some experiences will be captured in pictures and/or video, also for possible publication.

You've got something you've been wanting to do or try, right? Maybe it's something grand like bungee jumping, sky diving, or white water rafting. Maybe it's something a little less extreme like visiting a museum or hiking a trail. It's even possible that you've just been wanting to try out a new (or new-to-you) restaurant or cook a new dish at home. However grand the idea, Dave is saying the time is now!

If you would like to be a part of this fantastic trail of accomplishments, just contact me and include your idea and the location.

IMPORTANT NOTES: Dave's "The Time is Now" Tour will not be providing any funding toward your endeavor, but Dave will pay his own way as a participant wherever applicable. Hosting expectations are outlined in Dave's 2010 Bum Tour "note" on Facebook, or contact Dave directly for details.

Following the Tour

As dates and locations are added to the tour, they will be posted to this calendar. Blog posts will periodically chronicle tour stops and adventures. Go to August 2010 to see the current schedule.

Tour Schedule

Friday, September 3, 2010

The Home Stretch (August 30-September 1)

On Monday, I arrived in Oneonta (oh-nee-on-ta), NY around 11:00. I had a "lunch date" scheduled with my poetry comrade, Robb, at Noon, so I strolled around the SUNY Oneonta campus in the meantime. Beautiful! I probably should have stopped by the HR office to check on vacant positions.
SUNY College at Oneonta

I met up with Robb at Noon and we had a nice little chat over lunch. Robb and I met through ACUI where Robb started the CUPSI poetry slam tournament. After meeting all of the great poets from SUNY Oneonta, it was wonderful to finally see the campus and to chat with Robb on his home turf.

Clarion Oaks Golf Club
After lunch, it was off to Clarion, PA to visit my buddy, Steve. I was immediately impressed by Steve's living/working environment at Reinhard Villages. The community is really nice, and the apartments are extremely impressive. I was very comfortable with my own bedroom and bathroom--luxury! I guess Steve joined the "time is now" tour simply by hosting me--I was his first overnight guest in the new apartment. We went to dinner at the Pizza Pub where I enjoyed great pizza and a "fishbowl" of Yuengling lager. The evening was low key with chatting, TV, and relaxing. On Tuesday morning, we ventured out to Clarion Oaks Golf Club for 18 challenging holes of golf. No earth shattering scores to report, but the course was beautiful and the weather was very pleasant. We grabbed a quick lunch at Arby's (OK, not so quick--I ate nearly two meals), then I cleaned up a bit before the next road trip. Prior to departure, Steve gave me a tour of the Reinhard Villages Community Center, including his office. After the tour, it was time to move on to Ohio.
Steve at his office desk
Me from Steve's desk point of view
I did attempt a quick visit with Brett, a fellow BGSU alum and student affairs colleague, who works at Clarion University. However, parking and timelines were working against me. Ohio was beckoning, and it was time to answer the call.

I arrived in Columbiana, OH just in time to meet Erich after work. We chatted briefly and then headed out for 9 holes at Lake Front Golf Course where Erich had a pretty good round (40-something) and I...well, I did not. After golf, we stopped by the Canfield Fair Grounds so Erich could take care of a few details before opening day. Dinner and Golden Tee video golf were fully enjoyed at Aces Wild Wings in Boardman; I stuffed myself with pierogies, a reuben sandwich, and some wings (and a salad? don't remember). We stayed up pretty late just hanging out that night.

Wednesday morning was my 37th birthday, and I started it right--I slept in! While Erich was at work, I took the opportunity to catch up on some blog posting and other communications. In the afternoon, we grabbed a quick bite and then played the front nine at Copeland Hills--a fun course with a fair amount of challenge from length, trees, and bunkers. My game fell apart a few times, but we had a great experience. I look forward to playing there again, and especially to playing the full 18 holes.

Erich and I said our goodbyes at the Copeland Hills parking lot, and I started my short trek home to Elyria. I stopped on the way for some road snacks (Chicken Selects strips from McDonalds) and had a very uneventful drive home. I arrived at my parents' house in Elyria around 9:30pm. Although the house is undergoing serious renovations, it felt good to arrive home.

No comments:

Post a Comment