In conjunction with Dave's 2010 Bum Tour, The Time is Now Tour seeks participant hosts to become part of a documented "trail of accomplishments." Invite Dave to visit, and then it's time to take action! As you--and possibly your spouse, significant other, family member, or friend--set about your undertaking, I'll join along as either an observer or participant. All experiences will be captured in writing and collected for future publication. Some experiences will be captured in pictures and/or video, also for possible publication.

You've got something you've been wanting to do or try, right? Maybe it's something grand like bungee jumping, sky diving, or white water rafting. Maybe it's something a little less extreme like visiting a museum or hiking a trail. It's even possible that you've just been wanting to try out a new (or new-to-you) restaurant or cook a new dish at home. However grand the idea, Dave is saying the time is now!

If you would like to be a part of this fantastic trail of accomplishments, just contact me and include your idea and the location.

IMPORTANT NOTES: Dave's "The Time is Now" Tour will not be providing any funding toward your endeavor, but Dave will pay his own way as a participant wherever applicable. Hosting expectations are outlined in Dave's 2010 Bum Tour "note" on Facebook, or contact Dave directly for details.

Following the Tour

As dates and locations are added to the tour, they will be posted to this calendar. Blog posts will periodically chronicle tour stops and adventures. Go to August 2010 to see the current schedule.

Tour Schedule

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Gettysburg, PA (August 28)

Driving into PA, I stopped at a Welcome Center for a rest and for Gettysburg literature. I basically learned three things:

  1. All of Gettysburg is pretty much a giant National Park of battle fields
  2. Driving tours (guided and self-guided audio) are popular
  3. The layout of the area (two maps)
With this information, I continued on to Gettysburg. I could not navigate really well alone in the car, but I somewhat intuitively/randomly ended up at the National Park Service Visitors Center. I went inside to explore, and purchased a ticket to the museum where I compared Civil War history lessons with my recently-acquired knowledge from Richmond, and learned the history of the Gettysburg battles of July 1, 2, and 3, 1863. I think the most overwhelming moment for me was reading and hearing the Gettysburg Address--Lincoln truly was gifted in his writing and his ability to appropriately fit a moment (as reflected in his very brief comments now termed the Gettysburg Address). By some good fortune or fate, I had just enough time to finish the museum tour before it closed, and then browse the gift shop before closing. I purchased a CD Auto Tour which I used very briefly later in the day; I expect to visit again sometime and complete the tour. Upon exiting, I snapped the following picture of Lincoln's statue outside the center.
Entrance
As I walked toward the parking lot, I noticed signs for a walking trail leading to the Gettysburg National Cemetery. In need of exercise and happy for some beautiful weather, I started my hike. Within a few minutes, I arrived at the cemetery where I spent about 30 minutes exploring and taking photos.
Site of Gettysburg Address
Unknown Soldiers
Monument
Monument ( close up)

From the cemetery, I somewhat aimlessly wandered around the grounds, passing through The Brian Farm area and arriving at the High Water Mark area, marking the furthest northern encroachment of confederate troops during the war.
The Brian Farm
The High Water Mark
As sunset was drawing near, I quickly hiked back to my car at the Visitors Center and checked the map for any "must see" items before my departure. I decided the Eternal Light Peace Memorial was a must see, so I listened to some of the audio tour while driving to the north end of town. I won't even try putting into words at this point the experience of seeing the memorial against the setting sun. I will simply provide a few photos.
Eternal Light Peace Memorial at Oak Hill
"Peace Eternal in a Nation United"
East side of memorial
West side of memorial
As I post these photos, I am still overwhelmed with emotion, not only from the memorial, but also from my new-found understanding of the war overall. I am without appropriate words; I have tried, but none seem to accurately portray my sentiments or emotions.

With a glimpse of twilight on the horizon, I set back to my road trip heading for my overnight stay near Binghamton, NY.

No comments:

Post a Comment